scripting general

Access iPhone Backup, recover files from iPhone backup

Posted by on 12 September, 2008 at 10:14 pm

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I took a photo with my phone and used the image as the wallpaper for when the phone is locked. However, I completely overlooked this when I deleted the original image from the camera roll. This meant I had an image in place but no way of […]

Combining PDF files using Mac OSX

Posted by on 21 February, 2008 at 10:44 am

Every now and then I get the urge to start Adobe Acrobat when I’m using my Mac. I don’t like doing this, because Acrobat is a bit of a beast and I’ve had more failures with it than successes. It’s probably of my own doing, but I don’t seem to get on very well with […]

Firefox Search Bar tricks, changing the default Firefox search from US to UK

Posted by on 18 February, 2008 at 3:03 pm

I’m a bit of a Firefox fan, despite the fact the browser seems to render colours with less saturation. One of the very nice things I like is the search bar at the top right, which contains links through to some of the most frequently used search engines. You can customise the list easily enough, […]

Dark Mood V2 WordPress theme, editing wordpress files, encoding PHP

Posted by on 30 July, 2007 at 11:15 am

It may come as no surprise to some to find that freely available themes have got advertising embedded in them by default. It came as a surprise to me, mind you! I downloaded and installed the Dark Mood V2 wordpress theme by Ed Canape and found that in the footer file there was a PHP […]

Using ‘Grep’ with BBEdit

Posted by on 13 November, 2006 at 9:12 am

I learnt an interesting thing last week, the day after I had been working on some DVD Studio Pro subtitles. I had used Excel and BBedit (from barebones software) to do some find and replace operations in order to re-structure the subtitle file that was sent to a friend of mine. As it turned out […]