Dension Files

Download the Dension firmware files here. As I get new files sent to me, I’ll add them to this list.

Configuration Files:

Config files

Firmware Files

F/Ware v2.03 (468kb)

F/Ware v2.04 (668kb)

F/Ware v2.05 (676kb)

F/Ware v2.06 (696kb)

F/Ware v2.07 (692kb)

F/Ware v2.10 (648kb)

ice_link_all_updates.zip (4.1Mb)

Newer firmware files found over at www.tomtek.de Note that some of these are .exe. files for a PC, not Mac friendly .zip files.

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_2B2.exe

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_2B3.exe

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_3T2.exe

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_214.zip

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_215.exe

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_302.zip

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_304.zip

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_305.exe

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_C11.ZIP

More information about the above files is available (in German) from www.tomtek.de.

More configuration files, sent to me by other readers:

Version 4 of the configuration files

Some basic info:

How to update your firmware

DensionTechBulletin_A0009.pdf

I have not personally installed or used any update beyond v2.05.

Check out the Dension Support now, as HackMyCar and others seem to have disappeared, replaced by an altogether better Dension support system.

Of these, the Knowledge base seems to have most of the answers to questions for older systems (like mine) and the downloads are now listed in a useful matrix to help you find the right one. Check here: http://www.dension.com/dension_apple_matrix.html

91 thoughts on “Dension Files

• 3 April, 2008 at 11:37 am

OK, so I’ve been following all this, trying to get my iceLink to work in my 04 MDX w/Nav. Apparently last night, I managed to brick my iceLink by clearing the config. But I can’t find a config file for Acura anywhere? Anyone know how to get the iceLink back?

• 10 April, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Hello!

I have the following problem. I made an 2.b5 update. It took me about 25 minutes. After that iceLink didn’t restart. I reset the power. And now my iPod classic doesn’t connect to iceLink. Please, be so kind and tell me how to repair device and to connect iPod to ice Link.

Sincerely,

Valery

• 10 April, 2008 at 5:50 pm

Melissa, I’m not sure what an Acura is (a US car??), all the ice-link files are here http://www.dension.com/dension_apple_matrix.html
    Valery unplug ice-link from power for a minute so it completely resets, then try the update again, preferably on an ipod with no music on it, just update files

• 11 April, 2008 at 7:21 pm

Hello!

I’ve tried to update iceLink as you said, but it seems to me that it doesn’t work. Update lasts about 40 minutes, after that iPod doesn’t connect to my iceLink. Is there any chance to solve the problem and how much time does it take to update iceLink normally?

• 6 May, 2008 at 8:35 pm

i’ve been trying to update my ice>link to 2.18 with little luck as well, i dragged the directory directly to my ipod in itunes, which then copied all of the files except for the playlist file. when i tried to run the update my headunit kept switching on and off and selecting various tracks up to a point where the headunit stayed off. after a 10 minute wait i tried accessing my ipod as the update obviously didn’t work, and then my headunit wouldn’t see the ice>link, for a moment i thought i had bricked it, but after disconnecting and reconnecting the ice>link and power to the headunit i got it back to its original state sans update… so if yours is not working after a firmware upgrade attempt, i’d recommend trying to disconnect it and the headunits power… still don’t know how to get this damn firmware upgrade working though…

• 11 May, 2008 at 9:43 pm

IHi Hal, thanks for such an informative page!

I got my icelink 2nd hand, it was originally configured for a Sony, but I have a Kenwood HU. I cleared the firmware using the file in your blog’s zip file and reconfigured for the Kenwood. It worked……….however I tried to be a clever clogs and update it to 2.17 hoping that it would give me a few more of the features (I did this in one step, without progressing through all of the updates). I can’t access the CD changer function now, my ipod says firmware version is 2.17 but I can only access the tuner option. I have tried clearing the firmware and reconfiguring for the Kenwood (downgrading back to version 2.10) but even though it looked like it had worked, it’s still showing version 2.17 and I still can’t access the CD changer function. Have I cooked it? What else can I try?

• 16 May, 2008 at 7:59 pm

Hi,

I am trying to get an Ice Link Plus to work in a Honda Civic 2003 (Pioneer HU). I have managed to switch Ice Links between cars before by updating the config, but I cannot find one for the Honda on the Dension site?

Any help would be greatly appreciated – this was a birthday present for my sister two months ago and is just starting to get to the painfully embarassing stage!

Cheers

• 18 May, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Hi Andy – I think you should be looking for the Pioneer config if this is an aftermarket HU, only use the Honda variant if the HU came with the car as a factory fit. If you can’t find a Honda config (and I don’t think I’ve got one here) then try the Pioneer version anyway.

Have you had a look at the Dension site where it gives a matrix of the different files you can get? What about the Tomtek site?

• 19 May, 2008 at 6:27 am

Cheers Hal,

It is a factory HU that I think is made by Pioneer. Do you have a Pioneer config on your site? I have written to Dension support, but don’t hold out much hope.

Top site BTW – better than all the Dension support team put together!

Andy

• 20 May, 2008 at 9:35 pm

I thought I did, but I was thinking of the Panasonic one… sorry! I’ll have a hunt round for a Pioneer version, but will probably check the same places that you would anyway :-/

Thanks for the comp., too 🙂

• 20 June, 2008 at 6:57 pm

After a car service when the battery was disconnected, my iPod classic would no longer play anything other than playlists, much to my frustration as until then I had been using the iPod GUI (on a Becker SatNav, and using v2.14 of the Dension software). Impossible to get it to go into the Dension menu, and impossible to switch back to the Apple GUI.

So, first of all thanks to all here for giving the links to the latest sw updates!

After a few frustrating attempts, I realised that updating to the latest version (2.18) was going to take longer than the 5 minutes at first indicated on the display when I started the update procedure. In fact, it took more than 2 hours to play all the tracks in the update — luckily I was able to do this in a closed garage as it meant leaving the car with the ignition on!

However, it’s now working fine again, as far as I can see, and I’m able to switch between the 2 interfaces simply by selecting playlist/disc 6.

FWIW, I made a playlist “1 Dension” in iTunes into which I dragged the contents of the sw pdate, including the start update track.
    Then, with the iPod not connected to the head unit, I selected and started to play the “start update” track, connected the iPod, selected playlist/disc 1, and left it alone for the rest of the morning.
    When I came back, I disconnected the iPod, switched off the ignition, switched it back on again, recycled the HU power off/on, and that was about it.

Hoping this might help anyone.

John

• 21 June, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Mark

Thanks for the tip with playing the Start_Update track. I’d been having the same problems. The update went fine and the ice>Link reset. When I reconnected my iPhone, however, the functionality didn’t change. I still get the ‘Accessory Attached’ screen and can’t browse my library like you can. Selecting disk 6 doesn’t seem to do anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Simon

• 1 July, 2008 at 8:51 pm

Hi Simon, yes I had that to start with and I can’t remember exactly what I did but I think it was as simple as restarting iPhone and restarting the Dension i.e. unplugging it from car battery for a few minutes to reset it. Then it recognizes the iPhone afresh. Try that as you must get it working as its fantastic having phone and ipod functions in one with Supertooth Light Bluetooth Handsfree to answer calls for you, 30 quid from Amazon. With 3G and GPS/Tomtom coming I can ditch my original TomTom as well

• 15 August, 2008 at 5:38 am

Just went through a nightmare trying to update the firmware! Not a big surprise from what I have been reading. I have a 2001 Mercedes C320 and am running the 2.07 version of the firmware with the ice link plus d2b. Not too many problems with it, but I wanted to know if you knew the latest version of firmware that supports the mercedes/kenwood head unit. I loaded 2.18 then 2.15 in the hopes of getting better functionality out my 5g video, but they were no go’s for my head unit. So, I went back to old faithful 2.07. I would assume just keep reloading updates until they stop working…duh, but I live in a high rise apartment and getting to the car is not too easy for me. Any clue as to the the last Mercedes supported update?

• 25 August, 2008 at 10:34 am

Ok – thanks to lots of help from the online community, I have come up with some good info on installing the ICE>LINK Plus in my X5 2002 so it works…Hope this helps someone, feel free to email me at roger(removethisandput@)rogerfarley.co.uk.
    Basically, there are 2 MAIN icelink plus versions, V2 and V4.
    V2 firmware works with V2 (flat shrink wrapped icelink module)
    V4 firmware works with V4 (rectangular black box with yellow output cable)
    You need to get the firmware from

there is new firmware from February 2008 to update Icelink plus V2 and V4

You HAVE to get the version for your car/head unit (obviously!)

BMW – No SETUP menu? You need the BMW_TEXT_TO_NAV.MP3 file fomr DENSION (I have it too if anyone needs it – email me). Play it on the pod then put pod into dension.

Maybe not clear? Email me I’ll try to help (or leave comments here – I’ll keep my eye on it as it frustrated me no end !)

• 5 September, 2008 at 5:09 pm

im having increasingly frustrating problems trying to update my ice link. it says im running v4.13 for vw in my 2001 seat ibiza and i want to upgrade to 4.16 as i cant acess the ipod UI menu as its skips past it.

ive tryed updating with ipod mini and ipod classic, tryed clearing the ice link with the config file which worked ok but no matter how many times i try to update, it just doesnt work.

all i wanna do is use the ipod ui!! can you help me? 🙂

• 23 September, 2008 at 9:57 pm

nyces 2free – have you tried contacting Dension at all? They may well have an updated firmware or suggestions of how to move forward. I’m afraid I don’t have any experience of v4.13 or 4.16, and, unless others chip in, I don’t think we can help!

• 1 November, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Hi All,

Here’s some feedback from my recent experience. It is a golf Mk 5, with an 80GB ipod clasic (with latest software) and an ebay purchased ice link plus.

My problem was I could not access the Dension UI menu system. I could play music and advance/retard tracks, but that was it.

I tried several versions of firmware and none would upgrade. They would get 5-10 ‘tracks’ through and crash out back to the first alphabetic song on the ipod.

I contacted Dension support via their website and they were responsive and helpful, however, they didn’t solve it.

They did point out there are two versions of the ice link plus and you need to use the right software version. You can tell easily when the DENSION UI starts when you dock your ipod – the top right window in mine read version 4-4.15, so I needed v4.xx firmware. Otherwise it is v2.xx firmware. It is also on the sticker on the DENSION unit if you want to disassemble your car again.

Eventually I removed everything from the ipod and reinstalled just the upgrade firmware and HEY PRESTO it worked! I’ve no idea why my ipod wouldn’t work right when loaded with all the tracks.

I had resisted this as I thought it might be onerous in itunes but it was easy. With your ipod connected to your PC and itunes running, in the sync part tick ‘manually manage music and videos’ and take it from there, it is quite simple. when finished you untick this and itunes then resyncs your library.

Hope this helps!

Mark

• 23 January, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I’m after a V4.xx firmware for BMW (4.Bx) without the “improvements” for the latest iPods (I have a 4GB Mini) – can anyone help?

Also which V2.xx firmware should I use for Kenwood head unit?

Thanks,

Martin

• 13 February, 2009 at 8:15 am

Having read through all these comments I was worried about trying to update my firmware. However I took the plunge, and did the following, and it worked FIRST TIME, going from firmware 2.05 to 2.18:

1. Set iTunes to manually “manually manage music & videos”

1. Restored my Ipod to factory settings using iTunes. This removes all the music etc.

2. Copied all the update files (800+) for 2.18 firmware to iTunes, including the M3U playlist files (drag that into the playlists section)

3. Manually copied these files from iTunes to my Ipod (drag onto Ipod on left hand side)

4. Played the “Start Update” track

5. Plugged my Ipod into the Ice Link cradle

Update took approx 2-3 minutes, it went through Tracks 1-99 on my head unit display (2008 Audi RNS-E Satnav head unit).

I now have 2.18 firmware, and am putting all my music back on my Ipod. Works perfectly!

• 20 February, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Can someone please post a link to v4.15 of the firmware of the ICE>LINK Plus if you have it. I upgraded to v4.16 and have a 5g ipod but then I read that this is only for the newer ipods. I can’t access the setup menu at all and pressing 6 switches to the ipod ui.

• 1 March, 2009 at 8:52 am

Hi, I have icelink plus and bmw e46 bussines tape. I can not see song text in my radio (i can read RDS and radio station names) I tried to make it active from disc 6 menu but when it says select disc3 i select but nothing happens.So i decided to update firmware but first of all i don’t know which version will i choose? v2 or v4 also i dont know my version too. i installed vers v2b for bmw and copied all the files(about 600) i ve followed the instructions i went to my car opened the radio,but didnt plugged to icelink, started playing start update.mp3 then plugged the ipod to icelink but update didnt started radio started to playing my songs also same thing happened in the showing headunit to icelink nothing happens and it starts to play songs. I dont know what to do please help me.

• 24 March, 2009 at 2:39 am

Very nice site!

• 9 May, 2009 at 1:18 am

I have also an ice>Link plus v4 and I upgraded from 4.13 to 4.16 and now by pressing Disc6 I cannot access the setup menu. I have opened a ticket at Dension and I will keep you posted. Maybe the best solution is to roll back to my original f/w if I manage to find it online or if Dension is kind enough to send it to me. My original motivation in upgrading was the suspicion that I might get rid of some stumbling that ice>Link has when more than one tracks are skipped but it seems that this problem has not been solved.

• 10 May, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Answer:
    Dension replied immediately to my request and told me that ice>Plus v4-4.16 has been designed for newer iPods and if I wanted to see the Dension UI on my iPod mini I should either downgrade to v4-4.15 or use some configuration files that adjust the parameters (charging, output level, etc.).

Please find ice>Link plus f/w v4-4.15 here:

• 10 May, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Please also find here the configuration mp3 files for changing the parameters on ice>Link plus when the iPod does not support displaying the Dension UI.

These parameters concern way of charging the iPod, output level, random playing, menu displaying, etc.

• 11 May, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Hi Nikos – great info… many thanks! Will that download link be available indefinitely, or are you planning on removing the content from there any time soon?

• 27 February, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Hi! I just bought a Gateway 300 on ebay. The unit worked but was not displaying the id tags. I wasn’t sure of the unit I have since it doesn’t say it on it,I installed the V1 firmware. I later on realized that mine is the V2 since it doesn’t have the yellow audio cable.

Now my unit doesnt boot up anymore. Ive installed the V2 firmware, it gets deleted from the stick but nothing else happens. The radio doesn’t detect the device.

Is there a special file I can use to fix it? Im using a BMW E46 Business Radio, with an external hard disk (my ipod died).

Thank you!

• 27 February, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Hi Ray – I’m sorry, but I have no experience of the gateway devices, only the ICE>Link… and no idea what firmware you’ll need. There is a car audio specialist in my town who deals with the Dension devices, and regularly fits them to cars for the main dealers around here. If you’ve got someone similar in your area it would be well worth your while getting in touch to see if they can recommend anything (apart from to buy something of theirs instead, that is). What did Dension say when you asked them about it?

• 27 February, 2010 at 11:40 pm

hi! i bought and installed an ice link plus v2 in my 2004 honda accord. it worked great and was able to toggle between cd and cdc (via the cd/aux button) on my accord head unit. i decided to remove the ipod and load the 2.18 update (from dension) via itunes on my pc. i reconnected my ipod to the ice link and went through the udate process. now for the bad news, my head unit is perfectly fine except i can’t access the cdc function from the cd/aux button to play my ipod. would the firmware cause my honda head unit to malfunction? what happened to my installation? it was good before the update, but afterwards no good. please help! thx!

• 28 February, 2010 at 1:36 pm

as a follow up to my message above…i believe my H/U is no longer recognizing the icelink. did i break my icelink from maybe improperly installing the firmware? how do i know if my icelink is dead?

• 28 February, 2010 at 3:11 pm

i think i fixed it. some digging revealed that honda-a is for a 6th gen accord. i have a 7th gen (2003-2007) accord which is a honda-b. so i downloaded the 3.05 firmware and low and behold it appears to have cleared out my 2.18 and now i have functionality once again 🙂 the only thing now is my wiring harness is a little goofy in that it affects the balance if moved…meaning i lose sound on the left side 🙁 let’s see if i can’t work around that somehow. my question now is, how do i control from the ipod itself?

• 7 April, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Hi!
    I was hoping some one could help me with the configuration files for my Ice Link Plus. I am looking for the TextConfigFiles.zip file to enable text and figure out a way to enable the menu.
    I have successfully upgraded to 2.B5 using the firmware from the Dension site.
    However, now when I press ‘6’ I only go from Ipod UI to Dension UI back and forth. But no IceLink Menu. I cannot get it to show no matter what I try. I have read that I would need a couple of configuration files (Text to Radio.mp3) in order to enable the menu and the text display (currently disabled). I have googled, I have searched for the files without success (TextConfigFiles.zip). Please!

David

• 7 April, 2010 at 3:35 pm

That is, for a Bmw e46! Thanks again

• 30 May, 2010 at 3:47 am

Hello

just wanted to thank everyone here for the discussion – really helped me alot.

Just FYI I have an Icelink plus 2 in an Audi a4. I managed to upgrade the firmware to 2.18 but after the restart the icelink was non responsive- stuck on loading cdc1

a couple of days trying to clear the config or reload the firmware or a prior version I thought the unit was “bricked”.

Last ditch effort – I pulled the unit out, disconnected it and reconnected and voilà – all working fine. Firmware 2.18 and iPhone 3g in total harmony – and full control from iPod.

• 1 March, 2011 at 9:42 am

[remainder of post edited out as spam link]

• Pingback: Digital Review

• 26 April, 2011 at 11:57 am

Hi Hal,

thanks for posting these files.

I am trying to update my firmware to v3.04 from 3.02 (and then afterwards to 3.05). I have copied the files to itunes and synced with my ipod (with the UPDATE playlist as well). I then go to my car, start playing the track “Start_Update.mp3” on my ipod, then select CDC on the Head Unit and then connect the ipod to the cradle. But at this point the update does not start. One of my music playlists just starts playing.

I have also tried accessing the “Update Ice-Link” function from the settings menu but I get a message saying “No Update found” Any ideas on why the firmware isn’t being updated?

Cheers,