Dension Files

Download the Dension firmware files here. As I get new files sent to me, I’ll add them to this list.

Configuration Files:

Config files

Firmware Files

F/Ware v2.03 (468kb)

F/Ware v2.04 (668kb)

F/Ware v2.05 (676kb)

F/Ware v2.06 (696kb)

F/Ware v2.07 (692kb)

F/Ware v2.10 (648kb)

ice_link_all_updates.zip (4.1Mb)

Newer firmware files found over at www.tomtek.de Note that some of these are .exe. files for a PC, not Mac friendly .zip files.

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_2B2.exe

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_2B3.exe

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_3T2.exe

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_214.zip

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_215.exe

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_302.zip

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_304.zip

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_305.exe

ICE-LINK_PLUS_FW_C11.ZIP

More information about the above files is available (in German) from www.tomtek.de.

More configuration files, sent to me by other readers:

Version 4 of the configuration files

Some basic info:

How to update your firmware

DensionTechBulletin_A0009.pdf

I have not personally installed or used any update beyond v2.05.

Check out the Dension Support now, as HackMyCar and others seem to have disappeared, replaced by an altogether better Dension support system.

Of these, the Knowledge base seems to have most of the answers to questions for older systems (like mine) and the downloads are now listed in a useful matrix to help you find the right one. Check here: http://www.dension.com/dension_apple_matrix.html

91 thoughts on “Dension Files

• 6 February, 2007 at 7:06 am

I have a Toyota Corolla and am not sure which firmware update is right for me. Currently, the ID3 Text display is a little buggy and I was hoping that updating the firmware would solve my problems. I think I am running V23c10. Thats what it says when I bootup the Icelink.

• 6 February, 2007 at 10:26 pm

It’s been a very long time since I last used my ICE>Link – I am not sure I’ll be the best person to ask about this now. For what it’s worth, you need to check out the Dension web site to see what the latest version that they recommend actually is, then load that in. After that, get the correct config file for your head unit. This is likely to be the harder job, IMO – is your unit a Toyota model or something else? I have an Audi which had a factory fit unit – I used the Audi config files with no problem. However, the unit was in fact a blaupunkt model, but you’d only use the config for that if it was an after market fit.

• 26 March, 2007 at 5:37 pm

Did you manage to work out which version for a corolla? I understand what you mean about the dension support site now!

• 5 April, 2007 at 10:02 pm

Sorry James – best I can do is to suggest that you try the next firmware version in sequence. As far as I can tell the latest version should work with just about every car, it is the config files that need to be specific to a particular make/model. Check the very first item in the list above – that should give you all of the config files that I currently have.

• 27 July, 2007 at 12:03 pm

Hi. You might like to warn readers to beware with firmware. At some point I managed to load a firmware version which shows up as “C.10”. Since then, the device no longer offers a firmware update option in the menus. It seems that I’m stuck with this firmware with no way out.

• 27 July, 2007 at 8:32 pm

That sounds pretty dodgy to me – all of the updates I have done in the past have always been OK. All you do (as I recall) is use the iPod interface to navigate to the correct file and play it, then place the iPod in the cradle (or plug it in to the cable) sharpish. It then switches to the update screen.

I have also started it from within the cradle and it has worked as well.

• 27 July, 2007 at 9:12 pm

Thanks for that confirmation.

If I try to trigger the update (by playing the Start Update file) in iPod interface mode, it just plays the whole track (which is at the end of the playlist) and then goes on to whatever it would otherwise do next.

If I try to trigger the update in IceLink mode – i.e. by starting the track, then connecting the iPod to the cradle – it starts up the Dension interface, and then starts playing the very first track on the iPod after a little stutter.

Obviously, something’s not right here. I think it’s that C.10 firmware – the other versions all had Update Firmware menu items.

• 6 September, 2007 at 8:02 am

I tried to update my Ice Link Plus to 2.15 which failed, now when I connect to my Blaupunkt Valencia it does not recognise as a changer only and Aux1. this means I dont get the dension screen on the ipod and am unable to access the update menu. Is there another way to update the Ice link?

• 16 September, 2007 at 6:44 am

Do you mean can you update manually without using the Dension menu? Yes you can. These details are from the Dension knowledge base:

Follow the steps below to update firmware when menu is not available:

• Delete previous update files and reset iPod.
    • Copy the update package to iPod (cca 750 files).
    • Copy the Start_Update.mp3 onto iPod.
    • Disconnect iPod from PC.
    • Power on the car radio and change source to ice>Link (CD changer).
    • Select Browse/Genres/_config/Menu/Update/Start_Update song and play it on iPod.
    • While playing, insert iPod into the cradle or connect the dock cable; update process will start automatically.
    After about 5 minutes, ice>Link will restart with the new firmware.
    • While displaying “Dont browse..” message you can check version number in the top right corner of the screen.

Check the knowledge base at:

• 16 September, 2007 at 6:55 pm

What is in the “update package” referred to in step 2 on Dension’s page at:

– is it just an appropriate set of firmware files, like the ones you list on this page?

Whatever it is, it’s no longer available from Dension at that address.

• 17 September, 2007 at 7:33 am

As far as I know it is just the firmware files, but it might also include a guide on how to update if the Dension menu isn’t available… see the previous comment above!

• 17 September, 2007 at 7:42 am

Hi Hal
    Tried this used 2.15 update instead of the update package as its not available still no luck, this is how I tried.

Downloaded 2.15 restored Ipod to factory settings, copied 2.15 to ipod, ran Start update and placed in cradle this only ran itself didnt run any of the update files, tried by running the update files still no joy. Not sure if I am doing something wrong here or if the unit is FUBAR.

• 17 September, 2007 at 8:38 pm

Hi guys,
    THis same thing has happened to me, Upgraded to 2.15 update went fine, but version showed as C.10. Since then the unit is not recognised at all, and any update or ‘start update’ MP3s just play to the end and nothing happens.

I think my unit may be FUBAR as well!! If you have any ideas though hey would be greatly appreciated!

• 9 November, 2007 at 5:54 am

Well I’m in the same boat. I tried to upgrade mine from 2.10 to 2.15 and it would cycle through the whole deal over and over again until I manually stop it and remove the ipod. And it still remains at 2.10. Finally did it again and this time it appears to be bricked. I can still switch to a the unit as a “changer” in my Audi, but plugging in the ipod it does not switch to the Dension menu, just a big check mark saying it can be removed at any time. The radio just sits as if playing track 98 with no audio and no function. Does anyone know how to reset or reflash the icelink plus when in this state?

• 15 November, 2007 at 5:01 pm

Hi,

I bought an IceLink Plus for Toyota. The device was working well, but I installed firmware update V3.T5 and the TEXT display doesn’t work yet on my Corolla. Is it possible to install an old firmware to solve this gap? Where can I found the download?

Rgds

• 15 November, 2007 at 6:05 pm

All the downloads I have got are above… and I’m afraid all I can do at the moment is point you to Dension’s support site. I’ve not installed any firmware beyond 2.05 on my iPod before… and I’ve removed that now.

• 15 December, 2007 at 5:53 pm

Tried to install 2.15 on my VW icelink plus from 2.06. bricked it. I’d recommend what i’ve often been told: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

• 7 January, 2008 at 2:06 am

RFBakeruk, spencerjoel , Aluke – did any of you manage to resolve the problem you were all having? Did you find a way to reset Ice>Link or revert to your old firmware? I am in the same situation. I upgraded the firmware to 2.15, and not the Ice>Link interface will not appear at all. The iPod always gives just the normal iPod user interface. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

• 7 January, 2008 at 11:00 pm

Yes, Dension sent me another file to flash it with (I believe it is specific for Audi) and behold it took. It is working again.

I believe they have the core firmware for each auto manufacturer, and then updates are generic.

• 7 January, 2008 at 11:24 pm

Really!! Would you be able to send me that file? or let me know how to get it from dension.
    Thanks
    My email is – info@homerecordingtips.co.uk

• 8 January, 2008 at 2:13 am

me too please!! halmaclean (at) ronklopfer (dot) com. Many thanks in advance.

• 8 January, 2008 at 6:27 pm

I’ll send the file I used to you three fellows directly.

Let this forum know if it works for you.
    Maybe post what year and model of car you are using it with so we can confirm what cars the file works for and what it does not.

• 4 February, 2008 at 9:15 am

Hi,

Can anyone help please? I have a Becker Mexico Pro, Icelink Plus and 30GB Photo. I think the firmware in the Icelink is 2.02. The HU will play the first five playlists and will play all of the tracks on the ipod, but the menus don’t work correctly, the Ipod display is tiny and text is not displayed on the HU.

Can anyone recommend which firmware to load on the Icelink plus please?

Thanks

• 9 February, 2008 at 4:44 am

Hi,

I have a 5G ipod and an Ice Link Plus in a 2000 honda accord. The Ice Link firmware is 2.11. When it is working, it works great, but it often takes an annoyingly long time for the head unit to find the dension device, as well as, other varied versions of bad communication between the ipod and head unit. I have been trying to update the firmware to 2.15 and more recently to 2.18 (just posted on the Dension Site), but the update doesn’t take. Whenever I play the start update file, all that happens is the ipod begins to play every song on the ipod in alphabetical order by Artist Name. Has anybody had this happen?? What does it mean? Dension has stopped answering my questions. I have tried various experiments – the ipod does the same thing when you play start update whether the rest of the update files are in the ipod or not. So my best guess is the start update file just makes the ipod play a playlist of songs by artist name….but are they expecting the update files to be first in the list for some reason? On this premise, I tried playing a playlist of the update files. That hasn’t worked either. After it plays them, it goes to the Dension UI Menu – it never turns off and reboots – the version number never changes. There are alot of little variations I could go into, but that is the gist of what happens most often when I try. Does anybody have any thoughts on what could be wrong or what else I can try?

Thanks

• 9 February, 2008 at 7:10 pm

Hi,
    i have just bought an ICE LINK Plus with a videocable for a BMW E46 2002 with the business navigation radio..
    On the icelink stands V4R5-30. I want to connect a ipod touch with the cradle.
    Which firmware is the newes or best for this combination ?

Thanks regards Willi

• 9 February, 2008 at 10:19 pm

Dr Robin – I haven’t used anything beyond a 3rd gen iPod so I am less use to you.Hpefull someone else here will have an idea…

• 9 February, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Shanc21 – have you tried removing all music from your iPod, re-setting it and loading ONLY the update files (there should be a hundred or so very small files)?

If these are the only things on the iPod, maybe it will run them as it should… just a guess, but worth a try, I’d think.

• 9 February, 2008 at 10:21 pm

Willi – as above – I’ve not used anything beyond a 3rd Gen iPod… sorry!

• 10 February, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I have loaded 2.06 and find that it works ok, but the Ipod works best in Ipod UI mode. I still get some control from the head unit, but of course no titles or text on the HU. I am going to try 2.10 and see what happens. After that I might try 2.15 but given the points made by other users, it looks dodgy.

Shanc21 – I followed the update procedure mentioned above (http://www.halmaclean.co.uk/_files/iceLink/iceLink_Plus_Update_Guide.pdf) when updating. Simply copying the files to the Ipod may well not work since this procedure creates a playlist and then [probably] calls this playlist. It also appears to change the name of all the files. I used the start update file as my menu doesn’t appear to work correctly.

I am going to try 2.10 and then maybe 2.15 on an Icelink Plus with Becker HU, I will let you know how I get on.

DrRobin.

• 10 February, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas. I am going to try deleting everything from the ipod except the update files next. I had thought of that but was hoping to avoid it just because I manage my music manually instead of just letting itunes sync. I have more in Itunes than I do in my ipod and I like it that way – so it may be a pain to get it back that way if I delete everything. But if it works, it will be worth it. Dr. Robin, I did use the procedure in the pdf you mentioned to get the files into itunes. Those instructions were certainly much better than the ones provided by dension. My dension menu doesn’t have an update option though so I have been using the start update file as well. I will report back and let y’all know if it worked.

Thanks

• 10 February, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Hi Shanc,

I have totally failed to update beyond 2.06, it just does what you have reported. I updated to 2.06 from 2.01 by following the procedure in the pdf, but by using the same procedure to update to 2.10 or 2.15 it just fails using the Start_Update. Additionally using the menu, which works in 2.06, reports nothing to upgrade. I think I might try upgrading 2.07… 08… 09… etc to see how far I can get?

However, 2.06 does work ok, but it is best using Ipod UI, the audio is good and selection (thru the Ipod) works fine, the Becker HU can be used to select the next track and my missus likes it, so thanks everyone. If I can move the thread forwards I will add, other wise good luck everyone.

Cheers

DrRobin

• 11 February, 2008 at 12:41 am

Hey,

It worked!! I now have 2.18 installed. Removing all the files except for the updates and using “start update” worked. I am not yet sure if this actually solved all the communication issues but at least it’s installed. One thing that is different is the disc 6 button now just toggles between the denision UI and the IPOD UI instead of having to go through the very slow menu. The toggle is much quicker, so that at least is better so far. Thanks for the suggestions.

Shanc21

• 11 February, 2008 at 11:18 am

Fantastic Shanc21 – well done. What steps did you go through? The more info the better…!

• 11 February, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Hi,

Apparently, they fixed the ‘Flash Write’ in version 2.07, which might explain why I couldn’t upgrade from 2.06 to 2.10. I will try 2.07 tomorrow night.

Shanc, where did you obtain 2.18 from please?

DrRobin

• 12 February, 2008 at 9:56 pm

Hi,

I have failed to upload beyond 2.06. The Icelink + just plays the track or goes to the first track when you try start_update. It doesn’t find any new firmware from the update menu either. I haven’t tried removing everything off my Ipod, I have decided not to do this due to the amount of effort of reloading all the tracks, so looks like I am stuck with Ver 2.06, which works sort of ok.

Good luck to everyone else.

DrRobin

• 12 February, 2008 at 10:43 pm

I got 2.18 from the Dension website. It apparently has just been posted as of Feb. 6, 2008. The link is here:

There is a chart that tells which ipods it is compatible with and there also is a technical support bullitin that gives car makes as well. I am a bit confused by the two though, because from the chart, I thought 2.18 was compatible with 5G ipod but now looking closer at the bullitin, I’m not sure it is actually reccomended. In fact, it has not really helped my communication issues now that I’ve had a few days to play with it. So I think I am going to try and load 2.15 (which I had never succeeded in doing – I went from 2.11 to 2.18). I am hoping that the method that worked to load 2.18 will work for 2.15.

• 13 February, 2008 at 8:28 am

Hi,

I have seen this chart before but didn’t notice the drop down arrow and firmware, thanks. One other thing I have noticed is that my Ipod is a 5G ver 1.2.1. The chart says 1.2.3. I wonder if I should upgrade? I think I will check on the Apple boards as I thought 1.2.3 had some problems.

Cheers
    DrRobin

• 15 February, 2008 at 7:46 am

Hi!
    I also tried to update my Ice>Link Plus to latest firmware 2.18, using the manual update with Start_Update.mp3, but this does not worked…
    Then I tried to clean my iPod and let only the update files with the UPDATE playlist like shanc21 did, but still nothing, Start_Update.mp3 is played and nothing more happens when the file stops playing…
    The Ice>Link Plus still plays the songs on my iPod, but the head unit controls are now ignoerd when I want to go to previous/next song, I a cannot get back to the Dension UI on my iPod !
    Has anyone any idea ?
    ybou

• 18 February, 2008 at 2:13 am

Hi,

I tried to post how I got the update to load step by step a few days ago, but the site didn’t seem to want to accept my post. I hope it will work today.

Ybou – I do think you have to be in Dension UI mode rather than Ipod UI mode. I experimented both ways, and it only ever worked in Dension UI mode. Part of the problems I was having was communication between dension and the head unit, so when I was ready to do the update, I first inserted the Ipod into the cradle, and selected CD changer – just to see if it was going to connect. Once I saw the little check screen meaning it was connected – I pulled it back out, started playing the “start-update” file, and then stuck it back in the cradle – usually if it had connected just before, it would connect again. Whenever it worked, it gave a screen fairly quickly that said “loading update – do not disconnect ipod (~5 min)” or something similar. Sometimes when I got that message at the beginning, the update still ultimately didn’t install. You may have to try more than once before you get it to work (I did anyway). I’m going to try and post this now.

• 18 February, 2008 at 2:34 am

Well, since that worked, I will post again. Since the 2.18 firmware didn’t fix my problems, I tried to backtrack and load the 2.15 firmware (Honda Accord Factory radio and 5g ipod). I had been corresponding with Dension techsupport and they had sent me the 2.15 firmware, but I previously had not ever gotten it to load. So I tried it again by taking everything off the ipod, like already discussed. Eventually it worked and loaded, but oddly, once loaded, it said it was 2.17. Anyway, it has fixed some of the problems but not all. I guess it may be the best it is going to get though. The remaining problem is getting the head unit to consistently find and connect to the dension device when cd changer is selected – sometimes it just doesn’t find it, and sometimes there is a long delay before it does. Anybody have that problem?? if so did firmware ever fix it, or was it something else? Mr. McLean – if you would like this 2.17 firmware for your site, I’ll be happy to send it to you – just let me know. Thanks for hosting this site. .

shanc21

• 18 February, 2008 at 8:00 am

Thanks for that detailed reply Shanc21 – sorry about the posting issues (an update to wordpress seems to have fixed it).

Yes please! I would happily host the file on the site here. Just send it over to me at hal (dot) maclean (at) mac (dot) com, along with any other versions not already listed.

It seems that Dension are getting their act together far more these days regarding support, but I don’t think you can beat users supporting each other for the older versions and some of the more tricky issues. This site will remain as a resource for al Dension users!

• 18 February, 2008 at 6:01 pm

I have discovered that my communication problems don’t happen when the ingnition key is in the “accessory” position, or in the “on” position with the car not running – The device works perfectly in these cases. As soon as I actually crank the car, I lose connection – If I switch the car off and the key back to accessory – I immediately regain connection. What on earth could this mean? I just took the dashboard apart – the cables are all connected well – moving the cable out of the proximity of other nearby cables doesn’t seem to change anything (I was thinking maybe interference of some kind was an issue). The only other thing I can think to try is moving the location of the cradle – right now it is very near the ignition on the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel – but disassembling the cradle is proving trickier than I expected. Could the ignition/steering wheel area cause any kind of interference with the cradle? It doesn’t always not work when the car is running, but is just inconsistent. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Shanc21

• 8 March, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Just to let you guys know that I’ve downloaded the latest BMW firmware from Dension (2-B5) for iPhone compatibility and it’s brilliant with full touch control of the iPhone in the Dension cradle by my steering wheel and sweet fading out of music when a call comes in via Bluetooth for handsfree calling. Brilliant integration!

• 22 March, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Hi,
    problems again. I have a BMW e46 and a icelink +. I just tried to update to fw v2.B5, but it doesnt work. I turn on the radio, choose the cd changer an then put the started ipod touch in the cradle. I ve already started the playlist with the files. ( other mp3s are not on the ipod )
    I cant see a menue on the ipod or the firmwareversion.
    When i connect the ipod on the dispaly the following appears.
    ZUBEHÖR angeschlossen, accessory or equipment connected

On the icelink stands V4R5-30

With the installed firmware, the ipod doesnt work fine. It plays, interrupts plays interrupts and so on. Even when i turn on more volume it stops interrupts …..

Mark, you have the same firmware. Can you please help me to get the firmware onto my ipod touch ??

• 22 March, 2008 at 7:50 pm

The only thing i havn’n done, i didnt swap the cables from the original connector with these from the dension. i only changed the original with the one from the icelink.
    I have a business navi radio E46 17 round pins.

thanks Willi

• 23 March, 2008 at 10:31 am

Willi – the German message you are seeing translates to ‘Acessories Attached’, but as to why it isn’t running the update, I don’t know. Hopefully Mark will come back and give some insight as to how he did things with his iPhone, which is very similar to the iPod touch.

Have you tried contacting Dension over this one?

• 23 March, 2008 at 10:58 am

Hi Hal,

yes, i ve contact Dension.I tried the update by dension installation guide. When i copy the update m3u file, itunes says this is no compatible file for ipod.
    So i created a new playlist, and then coppied all files incl. the m3u file to this playlist.
    But then all files change their names.

update.m3u becomes _Startupdate____________A0:=01

Is here something going wrong ??

Thanks

• 23 March, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Hi Hal,

i solved a bit of the problem. I installed the V4 firmware on the icelink, and now i can play the songs from zhe Ipod.
    The only problem i have, i can’t get to the icelink menue, because the cd 6 doesn’t work. I can only use the button to play the next song, and the different playlists.
    Any idea to get to the menue ??

Greets Willi

• 28 March, 2008 at 1:31 pm

the problem I have had before with updating ice link firmware is getting it to play. The only way round it has been to make a playlist in itunes with the firmware files, then set the ipod (i use my sons empty ipod mini!) to sync ONLY that playlist so there is no other music on it. That way it will play the update file although it sometimes needs to be done twice as it freezes half way through.

With the latest iPhone firmware what you lose (the icelink menu is gone) is amply made up for by controlling the phone/ipod by touch and allowing it to be used with your bluetooth handsfree. If a call comes in the music fades out etc